Performance Lifestyle assists athletes to live out the VIS motto: Success in Sport and Life.
The VIS Performance Lifestyle team deliver an innovative and proactive program that empowers VIS athletes to strive for success in the high performance sport environment within a holistic framework. Supporting the wellbeing of the athlete and facilitating their personal and dual career growth for both now and through the myriad of transition points during their sporting career and beyond.
Performance Lifestyle Advisers provide guidance, resources and learning opportunities to empower athletes to manage the multiple facets of their life and to make informed decisions that contribute to their wellbeing, growth and performance in sport.
Providing access to personal and professional development, career and education opportunities and support referral networks (via the AIS AW&E program) athletes are encouraged and supported to build their sense of identity broader than sport and to contribute and engage within the wider community.
Building strong relationships with the VIS athletes, VIS coaches, VIS Performance and management teams the VIS Performance Lifestyle Advisers work as part of an Interdisciplinary team to support the overall progression and performance of the athlete in sport and life.
The VIS Performance Lifestyle Team also provides access to educational sessions and support for VIS coaches and staff. Mental health awareness and training for staff is a key focus of the Performance Lifestyle team.
The VIS Performance Lifestyle Program has built on the success of the VIS Personal Excellence and VIS Athlete Career and Education Programs of the past with the VIS a leader in this field for over 25 years. The VIS Performance Lifestyle Teams are part of the AIS national network of Athlete Wellbeing and Engagement (AW&E). This network includes AW&E Managers in many National Sporting Organisations (NSOs) and Advisers in other State and Territory Institutes/Academies across the National Institute Network.
How Performance Lifestyle helps our athletes
The VIS Performance Lifestyle Team provide the following services across all VIS Sports:
- Support to pursue a dual career via career guidance and education advice. Partnering with Schools and the Elite Athlete Education network (Universities and TAFE) to enable athletes to pursue their career and educational goals alongside their sporting goals.
- Personal and Professional development opportunities via individual athlete consults and athlete development workshops to facilitate the development of life skills and life plans
- Athlete Wellbeing support and education. Facilitating access to AIS Referral Networks – Mental Health Referral Network & Career Practitioner Referral Network
- Transition support and guidance for the various points of transition along an athlete’s journey in both sport and life. From Induction to progression along the HP pathway and then continuing transition support beyond the athlete’s sporting career
- Career and education opportunities via our partnerships with Open Universities Australia, FIA FITnation and William Angliss Institute
- Performance Lifestyle support and education for VIS coaches and VIS staff
- Performance Lifestyle education sessions for families of VIS athletes
The Performance Lifestyle Program tailors specific programs to reflect the individual needs and aspirations of athletes thus allowing for individual growth and development.
Walk n' Talk with Al Viney
Victorian Institute of Sport Performance Lifestyle team caught up with para rower Al Viney, to check in and see how she has been prioritising her own wellbeing and mental health.
Victorian Institute of Sport Performance Lifestyle Team facilitated a range of initiatives to support and bring awareness to our athletes and staff members mental health on R U OK? Day last Thursday.
VIS and Open Universities Australia continue partnership
The Victorian Institute of Sport (VIS) is pleased to announce the renewed partnership with Open Universities Australia (OUA).
We caught up with PL adviser, Sara Heasly to see how she has been working with athletes remotely and what advice the team has been giving during these tough times.