Meat Free Mondays is an initiative that’s been around for a few years now, encouraging Australians to have one meat-free day a week. Incorporating a meat free day into your week can have a beneficial impact on your health, on animals and on the environment.
Are you keen to give this a try, but don’t know where to start? Let’s look at some good non-meat protein sources to add to your dinner!
- Make a stew, curry or soup using legumes as your primary source of protein
- A cup of cooked quinoa can form the basis of your salad or can be mixed into patties
- Top your dinner with nuts and seeds - these are a good source of protein and also contain some healthy fats
- Half a cup of boiled edamame contains over 8g of protein; whether you eat them hot or cold, they make a great appetiser before dinner
- Look to incorporate tofu into your stir fry. While tofu is quite bland before it’s cooked, it will take on the flavours from the sauce in your dish making it a tasty meat alternative
A quick internet search will provide you with an abundance of meat free recipes!