The VIS Open Day is back in 2023 with the opportunity to meet Olympians, Paralympians and World Champion athletes, learn from high performance sport experts and experience the inner workings of our world class facility.
VIS Athlete Ambassadors
What to expect
This year’s Open Day will give visitors rare access to the inner workings of the newly refurbished VIS headquarters at Lakeside Stadium in Albert Park. Including abundant information sessions and interactive activities from our experts, athletes and partners, the VIS Open Day offers a unique taste of what it takes to be an elite athlete and to work in the high performance environment.
The Open Day is a FREE event, welcome to all! Please book your free tickets via Eventbrite in the link above.
Activities and Sessions
Try, listen, watch, learn and test yourself! There will be a variety of different activities for all to enjoy. Most sessions are ongoing allowing visitors to partake at any time.
A handful of activities will have allocated session times and/or sign-up sheets for capacity limits, these will be noted on the Program. To sign up, please visit the activity stall on the day and put your name down to secure a spot.
View the program for the full list of activities, but here is a teaser:
- Cooking demonstration - VIS Sports Nutrition will showcase how to prepare a recovery/fuelling meal to meet specific sporting requirements. Taste testing samples will be available following the demonstration.
- Athlete panel discussion – Hear how elite athletes balance sport and life in a panel discussion with a performance lifestyle advisor.
- Performance analysis showcase's with Netball Victoria, Hockey Victoria and Table Tennis Victoria - Get an insight into how athletes use video and data to review their performance and prepare for competitions, and receive live feedback on your own skills.
- Sprint profiling using biomechanics - Participants will gain an insight into the mechanics that determine how an elite level athlete sprints and be able to compare their results with some of Victoria’s fastest athletes.
- Investigate the physiological profiling of swimmers – See a live demonstration of an athletes 3-minute all out swim test, watching how sport scientists take and analyse the results to identify training plans.
- 5 metre sprint w speed gates – It’s not just sprinters in the 100m who need to accelerate quickly. Many sports involving running require athletes to move quickly over 5 metres. Test your speed against an elite athlete!
- Workout with 2XU - Partake in a group workout class with 2XU and an athlete, with some giveaways for participation.
- Participate in various Athletics events - including Para-frame running, Long Jump, Mini Hurdles, Vortex and more.
- Hop onto a sailing boat - learn the ropes with our VIS Sailing Coach with a sailing boat available to jump into.
- Test your hoops in wheelchair basketball - chat with wheelchair basketball athletes and give the sport a go.
And so much more!
Sport's and Expo's
Many VIS Partner's will be present, with the opportunity to learn new sports and have a go.
- Athletics Victoria
- Archery with VIS Athlete Astin Darcy
- Badminton Victoria
- Hockey Victoria with Hockey Club Melbourne
- Netball Victoria with Melbourne Vixens
- Rowing Victoria
- Sailing with VIS Coach Carrie Smith
- Skate Australia
- Softball Victoria
- Squash Australia
- Table Tennis Victoria
- Wheelchair Basketball
- Australian Catholic University (ACU)
- The Athlete’s Foot
- Australian Sports Commission
- Cancer Council
- Department of Education
- LaTrobe University
- Maribyrnong Sports Academy
- Open Universities Australia (OUA)
- Paralympics Australia
- Radix Nutrition
- School Sport Victoria
- Sport Integrity Australia
- VIS Research Council
- Victorian Regional Academies of Sport (VRAS)
General Information and FAQ's
For full details please read our Frequently Asked Question's PDF. Below is information for the most common questions and general information around the day.
Please join us for an official Welcome to Country by Bunurong Land Council at 10am.
Tickets: Tickets are free! Please book your free tickets via the link at the top of the page. You will receive your tickets in a confirmation email, which you can download and show on your phone upon arrival (note: only one booking name is needed when buying tickets for a full family).
Accessibility: The VIS is an accessible facility for wheelchair and mobility aid users, both upon entry and when moving around the event.
Food & Drink: Roll'd food truck will be catering delicious food options available for purchase, plus some snack giveaways from Chobani, Radix Nutrition and our VIS Dieticians.
You are welcome to bring your own snacks and drinks, however we encourage you to make the most of our nutritious and delicious food options. There will be designated picnic areas near the food truck on the grass, or take a seat in the grandstand.
What should I wear on the day? Wear comfortable clothing suitable for physical activity indoors and outdoors.
Getting here: We are located at Lakeside Stadium, 33 Aughtie Drive, Albert Park (the large redbrick building opposite MSAC).
- Car: There is ticketed parking throughout Albert Park including a large parking lot in front of the VIS. Read more on fees here.
- Tram: The closest tram stop is Albert Road/Clarendon #130, along Route 12 (4min walk).
- Train: Catch a train to Southern Cross Station or Flinders Street Station, then jump on a tram to the stop mentioned above.
- Bike: We encourage you to jump on your bike to get to us! There are plenty of bike racks to lock your bike to out the front of South Melbourne Football Club (next door to VIS).
- The VIS Open Day is a family friendly event, therefore the use of drugs, alcohol and dangerous substances and materials are prohibited, and offensive behaviour and conduct will not be tolerated.
- As part of attending the VIS Open Day you are consenting for photos and videos to be taken and to be used by the VIS.
- The VIS will mitigate reasonable risk associated with participation in Open Day activities. By participating you agree and undertake any such risk voluntarily and at your own risk. Please read our Waiver for further information.