National Careers Week is an initiative of the Career Industry Council of Australia and aims to celebrate careers, career development, career development services, and career development practitioners and to promote the economic, social and personal benefits of career development.
Career development is a process of managing learning, work and leisure to progress through life. It includes gaining and using the skills and knowledge needed to plan and make informed decisions about education, training, and work. Everyday decisions and priorities affect career development. Ultimately, career development is about much more than jobs – it is about how to live your life.
The objectives of National Careers Week are to:
- Develop community awareness of the concept, benefit, and value of career development.
- Raise aspirations, challenge stereotypes, and broaden horizons about careers.
- Highlight the need for ongoing reskilling and upskilling to support careers throughout life.
- Identify the changing nature of work and its impact on all Australians.
- Showcase industries and the career opportunities available in them.
- Provide opportunities to partner with key stakeholders.
At the Victorian Institute of Sport, our Performance Lifestyle team assists our athletes to balance their dual careers and live out the VIS motto: Success in Sport and Life. The VIS Performance Lifestyle team deliver an innovative and proactive program that empowers VIS athletes to strive for success in the high performance sport environment within a holistic framework. Supporting the wellbeing of the athlete and facilitating their personal and dual career growth for both now and through the myriad of transition points during their sporting career and beyond.
Our Performance Lifestyle Advisers provide guidance, resources and learning opportunities to empower athletes to manage the multiple facets of their life and to make informed decisions that contribute to their wellbeing, growth and performance in sport.
Providing access to personal and professional development, career and education opportunities and support referral networks (via the AIS AW&E program) athletes are encouraged and supported to build their sense of identity broader than sport and to contribute and engage within the wider community.
Building strong relationships with the VIS athletes, VIS coaches, VIS Performance and management teams the VIS Performance Lifestyle Advisers work as part of an Interdisciplinary team to support the overall progression and performance of the athlete in sport and life.
The VIS Performance Lifestyle Team also provides access to educational sessions and support for VIS coaches and staff. Mental health awareness and training for staff is a key focus of the Performance Lifestyle team.
The VIS Performance Lifestyle Program has built on the success of the VIS Personal Excellence and VIS Athlete Career and Education Programs of the past with the VIS a leader in this field for over 25 years. The VIS Performance Lifestyle Teams are part of the AIS national network of Athlete Wellbeing and Engagement (AW&E). This network includes AW&E Managers in many National Sporting Organisations (NSOs) and Advisers in other State and Territory Institutes/Academies across the National Institute Network.
The VIS Performance Lifestyle Team provide the following services across all VIS Sports:
- Support to pursue a dual career via career guidance and education advice. Partnering with Schools and the Elite Athlete Education network (Universities and TAFE) to enable athletes to pursue their career and educational goals alongside their sporting goals.
- Personal and Professional development opportunities via individual athlete consults and athlete development workshops to facilitate the development of life skills and life plans
- Athlete Wellbeing support and education. Facilitating access to AIS Referral Networks – Mental Health Referral Network & Career Practitioner Referral Network
- Transition support and guidance for the various points of transition along an athlete’s journey in both sport and life. From Induction to progression along the HP pathway and then continuing transition support beyond the athlete’s sporting career
- Career and education opportunities via our partnerships with Open Universities Australia & FIA FITnation
- Performance Lifestyle support and education for VIS coaches and VIS staff
- Performance Lifestyle education sessions for families of VIS athletes
- The Performance Lifestyle Program tailors specific programs to reflect the individual needs and aspirations of athletes thus allowing for individual growth and development.
To celebrate National Careers Week, The Australian Institute of Sport are inviting athletes and staff from National Sporting Organisations, the National Institute Network and the Elite Athlete Education and TAFE Networks to join the AIS National Careers Week Webinars.
VIS Performance Lifestyle Team:
Leesa Gallard Performance Lifestyle Manager
Andrea Farrow Performance Lifestyle Adviser
David Madigan Performance Lifestyle Adviser
Eloise Boyle Performance Lifestyle Adviser
VIS Performance Lifestyle Partners:
Open Universities Australia