The Victorian Institute of Sport (VIS) Sport Science Department offer an exciting opportunity for Sports Science students and graduates seeking to gain valuable experience in supporting elite athlete preparation and working alongside some of Australia’s leading Sport Scientists in a High-Performance Environment.
The 2021-22 traineeships are open to current undergraduates, graduates or postgraduates of Exercise & Sport Science (or equivalent) degrees. The traineeships are unpaid for a 12-month period and successful applicants are requested to contribute at least 10 hours per week.
Traineeships will be located within the VIS Sport Science Department (Albert Park, Victoria). Trainees will be directly supervised by a VIS Sport Scientist to assist with sports science support to VIS athletes.
Traineeship opportunities will span across:
- Olympic, Paralympic and Commonwealth Games Sports
- Performance Analysis
Trainees will be assigned to a particular Sport Scientist who will supervise them throughout their traineeship. This will allow for exposure to that scientist’s particular sport(s) and area(s) (Physiology, Performance Analysis or Biomechanics), however opportunities with other scientists, sports and areas will be available throughout the traineeship. The key tasks include assisting the VIS Sports Scientist with:
- Collection and analysis of testing and trainings data.
- Input of data into databases, analysis and generation of reports for coaches and athletes.
- Monitoring and analysing training and competition.
- Video capture & analysis (both qualitative and quantitative) during training and competition.
- Participating in Sport Science Trainee Learning & Development Curriculum.
Responsible to VIS Sport Scientist supervisor and liaising with other VIS scientists, coaches and athletes.
This traineeship requires frequent out of hours work with travel sometimes required. Students currently enrolled in university degrees should complete this traineeship as a fieldwork opportunity. To ensure their own safety and the safety of others, employees must work in a safe manner and comply with all VIS policies and procedures that relate to Occupational Health, Safety and Welfare. This includes current Working with Children Check, CPR and first aid qualifications.
Who is eligible?
Traineeships are available to current undergraduates, graduates or postgraduate students studying Exercise & Sports Science or related courses. Applicants must hold a current driver license to be eligible for the traineeship. Student traineeships are NOT offered to high school students.
How to Apply?
All applicants must provide the following information within their application:
- Cover letter addressing the key criteria listed below*
- Most recent academic record
Applications are due no later than Sunday 22nd August 2021. Email your application (cover letter, CV and academic report) to: email@example.com
Key Criteria to address in your cover letter in one A4 page or less:
1. Why do you want to complete a Sport Science Traineeship at the Victorian Institute of Sport?
2. Practical experience in Sport Science to date.
3. Relevant qualifications.
*Applications that do not outline the above key criteria will NOT be considered.
The following qualifications are considered desirable for the student traineeship application as they will be required to be completed to fulfil the duties/responsibilities of the traineeship:
- Previous experience/placement working in Sport Science
- Working with Children Check
- First Aid
- ESSA Sports Science accreditation (ASpS; where applicable)
1. Applications close on Sunday 22nd August 2021.
2. Interviews will commence from Monday 13th September 2021.
3. Traineeships will commence from Friday 1st October 2021.
Successful candidates will be contacted via email to attend an interview as indicated above. If you have not received an email by Friday 1st October, then your application has been unsuccessful. Unsuccessful candidates will not be contacted due to the high number of applications we receive each year