The opportunity will suit an appropriately accredited and experienced elite sailing coach already working within an integrated program environment and with a demonstrated track record of coaching success at the elite domestic and/or international level.
VIS Head Coach Sailing will be responsible for the strategic, operational and technical leadership, planning, delivery and monitoring of all aspects of the VIS Sailing program & Victorian Performance Pathways Program. The purpose of the position will be to identify and develop sailors who have the potential to be selected for Australian Sailing’s (AS) National Training Centres (NTC), Australian Sailing Team (AST) and ultimately achieve podium results at benchmark events.
Key Accountabilities Include:
- Designing and implementing a high performance sailing training program framework in consultation and collaboration with the AS State Lead Coach.
- Providing leadership with regards to advanced technical coaching for all targeted and categorised athletes in the state.
- Ensuring the wellbeing of athletes within the program, including ensuring compliance with WADA/ ASADA codes and relevant VIS/ AS Health and wellbeing policies.
- Ensuring all VPP athletes have an individualized and agreed Athlete Plan
- Ensuring that VIS support staff have agreed work plans in place to deliver agreed support to athletes, program and identify innovation & research projects.
- Deliver Coaching to Victorian Training Partner Youth Class sailors, and development sailors as required of the program
- Mentor and supervise other class and club coaches involved in the program delivery
- Provide input into future State Sailing Pathway Strategy, including insight into local context, programing considerations, program objectives, stakeholder relationships and athlete selections
You Will Bring:
The successful applicant will have a thorough understanding and demonstrated application of current high performance coaching methodology. You will also have demonstrated ability to positively impact world-class athlete performance through your leadership with a strong emphasis placed on outstanding interpersonal skills, a collaborative communication style and well-honed capacity for innovation, planning and decision making. In addition, you will have:
- Proven experience developing elite athletes and coaches, including; devising, implementing and leading successful high performance programs.
- Prior experience occupying a position at elite domestic and/ or international level for a minimum of three years.
- A demonstrated track record of coaching success
- Proven experience of working within an integrated program environment.
- Mental versatility and be daring in order to maintain a competitive edge for VIS athletes.
- Demonstrated willingness to work within the National high performance system.
Qualifications & Essential Requirements
The Australian Sailing Coach qualification required (or prepared to undertake this) with a graduate qualification in a sports related field desirable. You will also require a Current First-Aid certificate, Current Driver’s License and a Victorian Working with Children Check.
The position will require travel to major event & training locations locally, nationally and internationally.
Remuneration will be commensurate with your skills and experience. To apply for this position, you must be legally entitled to work in Australia.
If this sounds like you, an information Pack with further details about the application process, the VIS and this role can be obtained from Nat Cross, Performance Coordinator (VIS) on (03) 9425 0000 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications must be received at the VIS no later than 5 pm, Friday June 12, 2020.
Applications will need to address the essential selection criteria outlined in the Position Description under “Experience and Skills” to be considered.
Interviews will be conducted in Melbourne, likely in the week of 15th June, 2020.