- Home town:
Barwon Heads, VIC
Skiing, Cycling, Mountain Biking, Sport-Climbing, Bouldering
- Occupation / Area of Study / Work:
- Hero / Most Admired Athlete:
Michael Milton, Cadel Evans, Bode Miller
- Date of birth:
6 February 1991
- Event(s) / Discipline:
Alpine Skiing - Downhill, Super G, Giant Slalom, Slalom
Physical Impairment – Left below-elbow limb deficiency
- Olympic / Paralympic History:
Vancouver 2010 Winter Paralympic Games
Sochi 2014 Winter Paralympic Games
PyeongChang 2018 Winter Paralympic Games
- Sporting Highlights:
- 2016 – Ski and Snowboard Australia Para-athlete of the Year
- 2017 – Ski and Snowboard Australia Para-athlete of the Year
- 2017 – Victorian Disability Sport and Recreation Awards – Male Sportsperson of the Year
- 2017 – Victorian Institute of Sport Elite Athlete with a Disability Award
- 2017 – Australian Institute of Sport Para Performance of the Year
- 2017 – Co-captain with Joany Badenhorst of the Australian Team at 2018 Winter Paralympics
- 2019 - Victorian Institute of Sport William Angliss Performance Lifestyle Award
Experienced campaigner Mitchell (Mitch) Gourley is looking to make it to a fourth Winter Paralympic Games in Beijing 2022.
For the 2018 PyeongChang Paralympics Mitch was named co-captain of the Australian Team. This was following a career best year in 2017 where he sealed gold in the men’s super-combined standing at the Tarvisio 2017 World Championships.
With that title in the bag, the 2017-18 season presented him with a very good chance of medalling at the PyeongChang 2018 Paralympic Winter Games. But his best result was fifth in the super-combined.
He has showed his credentials as a proud Paralympian, being elected as Athlete Representative on the World Para Alpine Skiing Sport Technical Committee.
Off the slopes, Mitch has already embarked on a career after sport. He has completed a Master of Business (Sport Management) at Deakin University in Melbourne, after completing a Bachelor of Commerce at the University of Melbourne in 2014.
He has worked as an external consult for the AIS and for Netball Victoria.